Wednesday, April 22, 2009

17 AGAIN (Burr Steers)



date watched: April 21, 2009
location: Lincoln AMC 13, NYC

I guess I don't have to talk about who the main actor in this movie is. He is only the hottest teenager out there since High School Musical, right?
It is reported that he decided to take up this role because even he's been through all the teenage ups and downs, he was never the father of teenagers.
That's all I'll say about Efron. But that is truly why I envy actors: they are given the chance to be anyone else, to live another life, albeit briefly.

Overall, the movie was not too poorly structured, but the ending could have been done with more class, in my opinion. According to imdb.com, the director seems to have more experience in television, which may explain the struggle in the resolution. With some more experience with the medium, he could probably be a noteworthy director of comedies.

Personally, I have a yen for movies dealing with reliving the past. Wild Strawberries is one of my favorite films of all time, and I still enjoy listening to the story of Ebenezer Scrooge (though nobody reads it to me anymore). I liked that Mike O'Donnell still made the same choice, even though he got a second shot. It's as if you come back from a superb trip abroad, only to realize how much you missed home. Hence, our utterances of "home sweet home" as we lay down all our bags in the foyer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, and with Rober Ebert when he says it had "a plot a little more surprising and acting a little better than I expected". Hooray for easy-to-watch semi-decent teen flicks!

    ReplyDelete